Raspberry is a shrub plant that has delicious fragrant berries and has a large number of useful substances. One of the most popular varieties is the raspberry "Pride of Russia" or, as it is also called "Ispolin". Belongs to large-fruited varieties, has a high yield and special winter hardiness.
The plant was developed by the Moscow breeder V.V. Kichin and bred in 1992 at the Institute of Horticulture. Experimental seedling obtained by crossing the donor "Stambov-20" and varieties "Stolichny". Distributed as an independent variety since 1998.
Homeland "Pride of Russia" - Central Europe. At today's time, because of its unpretentiousness and easy care, it is cultivated almost everywhere.
This large and tasty fruit interests many gardeners and is the pride of Russian breeders.
Description and characteristics of the variety "Pride of Russia"
Bespirnaya raspberry "Pride of Russia" brings dark red fruits, shiny and velvety, having a conical elongated configuration. Large berries make 8-12 g. The flesh is soft, juicy, has a sweet-sour taste, double fruits come across. Subtle aroma. The berries are perfectly removed from the stem and practically do not fall off when ripe. Seeds are quite small and not at all tangible.
The raspberry variety "Giant" is of medium size, height from 1.5 to 1.8 m, massive and compact. Not sprawling, compressed. The leaves are raspberry dark green. It blooms with white flowers that are clustered in racemes. Stems are thick, straight, tall, without thorns, in winter they are gray-brown. There is no wax on the strong new shoots.
During the season, the plant has a lot of root shoots (5-7) and shoots (from 7 to 10). If time does not remove them, then it can grow throughout the site. On the tops of the shoots formed sockets. The branches are medium in size; about 20-30 berries grow on them. For the season, fruits are collected in 5-6 stages, from one bush you can get 4-5 kg.Bush with raspberry "Pride of Russia"
The variety is mid-season, ripens in early July and to August bears fruit. "Pride of Russia" is a high-yielding, self-fertile and early ripening.
This plant has a huge number of advantages:
- brings high annual yield and large fruit;
- tasty and fragrant berry;
- it multiplies easily, forms many replacement shoots, and tolerates drought (but the amount of yield decreases);
- constant fruiting and early maturity;
- resistance to diseases (didimella, mosaic, anthracosis);
- transportation is possible.
In addition to the many advantages that the "Pride of Russia" raspberry has, it has some drawbacks that should be considered when planting:
- double berriesdue to adverse weather conditions;
- weak sugar content and reduction in taste, due to frequent rains, poor sunshine (planted in the shade) or dense plantings;
- additional feeding is desirable;
- hypersensitivity to soil fertility and irrigation;
- at very high temperatures needs shelter.
Bearing Raspberry Planting Technology
Raspberries refers to a two-year fruit cycle. In the first year, the shoots will develop, and only in the second year will it begin to bear fruit.
Planted in spring (March) or autumn (in late September, or early October). The most preferential is the autumn period, since raspberries are better able to take root, and the soil will have time to settle. Landing should be made no later than two weeks before the onset of frost.
The plant is sensitive to light, it is desirable to plant it on a site where a lot of sunlight gets and in a lull, raspberries are quite susceptible to cold winds. The ideal place to land is loamy chernozem, with an interval to groundwater should not exceed 1.5 m. Raspberry grows well in areas with high acidity.
Step-by-step process of planting seedlings
- the site must first be cleaned of root weeds and dig;
- fertilizer, per square. meter add 5-7 kg of rotted manure, about 25 g of potassium and 60 g of superphosphate, if necessary, perform liming of the soil;
- make a hole with a size of 30 * 40 cm and at a distance of 40 cm from each other, 1.5-2 m receding between the rows;
- 2/3 of the fertile soil is poured into the hole, the sapling is immersed, the roots are carefully adjusted, the main thing is that they do not bend upwards, and fall asleep with the earth, compact;
- root neck should remain level with the ground, 4-5 liters of water are poured under each bush;
- the soil around the bush is mulched with sawdust, peat, straw or humus.
Caring for raspberries is not a huge effort. The main thing is to carry out timely loosening, pruning, mulching, fertilization and watering.Sizes of berries from the raspberry bush “Giant”
Throughout the season, pruning is done three times. The bush annually forms up to 7 root shoots and about 10 replacement stems. It is not advisable to leave all the bushes, it will reflect badly on the amount of the crop.
- ATSpring pruning is carried out in March-April, depending on weather conditions. Pruned under the root of all weak, poorly developed and damaged shoots, healthy pruned to the upper bud.
- Further after bud break 13-15 cm shorten the stems to increase fertility.
- The third time is cut for 2-3 weeks before the onset of cold weather. Young shoots are cut, they will not survive the cold; old stalks, they thicken the bush; affected by disease; shoots bearing fruit more than 2 years.
Variety "Pride of Russia" is propagated by dividing the bush. Renewed buds appear on the ground of annual shoots; they form young shoots.
Raspberries have many processes that can be planted, so the breeding process is simple.
You may also be interested in the following articles about raspberries:
The plant loves moisture, for each bush you need to pour four buckets, watering produce:
- before flowering;
- in the period of ripening berries;
- after collection;
- before the cold.
For irrigation it is better to use the drip system, after it the ground is mulched.Raspberry harvest
To obtain high yields, you should follow some rules:
- to make it easier to care for the plant and harvest the crop you need to tie up the bushes;
- it is necessary to feed, they will make the berry sweet, a good option would be to feed the raspberries on urea;
- irrigation should be carried out;
- shrub formation improves lighting and makes it easier to pick berries;
- need regular watering;
- Bushes should be moistened before flowering, during formation, during ripening.
Fertilizer feedings are conducted annually. With regular manipulation depends on the fertility and taste of the plant.
- after landing fertilize slurrydiluted with water (1 bush - 2.5 l of solution);
- in early spring, nitrogen fertilizers are applied to the soil, then superphosphates, slightly rotted manure and potassium salt;
- in the autumn - wood ash and phosphorus-potassium funds;
- magnesium fertilizers are applied to the sandy soil.
Preparing for the winter
Frosts for this plant are not terrible, it endures -30 degrees. If the temperature in the regions falls below, raspberries should be covered. Shrubs connect with each other, bend over the ground by 30 cm and sprinkled with earth. It can be covered with agrofibre and polycarbonate leaves. Spring branches unleash, and they acquire the same shape.Preparing raspberries for winter
Raspberries are resistant to various diseases, some of them are dangerous for the plant:
- Root cancer. On the roots of plants, tumors of 1-3 cm in size appear, similar rough mounds with cracks. The leaves begin to turn yellow and the taste of the raspberry spoils. To get rid of the disease, the diseased plant is dug out and burned.
- Rust. In the fall, a dark bloom appears on the inside of the leaves, and yellow-brown formations on the outside. Sprigs of plants are covered with gray ulcers. Treatment — affected areas are treated with 1% Bordeaux liquid.
- Bushiness or growth. Appear non-fruiting shoots (30-200 pieces). Branches become small, leaves - small, yield decreases. The diseased plant is removed, it cannot be treated.
- Septoriosis (white spots). On the leaves and stems of the plant, brown spots form first, then change and appear white with a purple border. Infected leaves, shoots and buds die. The affected areas are cut and burned, or before blooming of the kidneys are sprayed with copper oxychloride.
- Moth In flowers it lays eggs. The plant slows growth and buds fall off. The ground portion of the affected shoots should be removed., spray with Inta-Vir or Fufon solution.
- Beetle. Eat the leaves, leaving some streaks, eats the contents of the buds. Beetles are manually collected and destroyed.
- Weevil. Forms in egg buds, yields are reduced, flowers fall. Sprayed with Iskra-M - before flowering, after harvest - Karbofos.
- Galitsa White larvae appear on the shoots. Damaged shoots are pruned and destroyed. Chemical processing is useless.
Raspberry "Pride of Russia" brings large and tasty fruits, is characterized by high yields and simple reproduction, as well as resistant to disease. The variety is grown in private households and on an industrial scale.