Eggplant - is considered one of the most unpretentious plants. However, it can be subjected to a large number of diseases, it quickly reacts to a change of soil, temperature drops. Most often, culture dissatisfaction is expressed by a change in the color of the foliage — it turns yellow and curls. And even if you were able to create the necessary conditions for growing eggplant in the greenhouse, minor errors in care can lead to very bad consequences. In this article we will learn why the lower and upper leaves of eggplant can whiten and what to do about it.
The reasons why the eggplant's lower leaves turn yellow and fall off
Eggplant is somewhat weaker than a tomato bush. From this and the difficulties with it are much more. The problem with the yellowing of the foliage is often found not only in open beds, but also in greenhouse conditions, and even on the windowsill. The situation can be aggravated by the fact that the yellowed leaves begin to fall off. And in order to correctly determine the cause of the problem, it is recommended to carefully examine the culture. The reasons for which the leaves become yellow may be very different. The simplest is to adapt to a new transplant site. Vegetable after planting may turn a little yellow. But after the seedling has taken root, the eggplant turns green again.Yellowed leaves in eggplant seedlings
Often gardeners growing seedlings are faced with the fact that it turns yellow. This is due to the fact that the young sprout needs a large number of macronutrients and nutrients.
Wrong care for seedlings
White or yellow spots may appear in the following cases:
- yellowing of the foliage may be caused by peat soils on which eggplant is grown;
- lack of ventilation;
- burns from the sun or lighting fixtures;
- irrigation and spraying in sunny weather, use of cold water for irrigation;
- low levels of potassium, macronutrients and other nutrients;
- nitrogen deficiency, which is needed for eggplant normal development. Only this component helps to fight the yellowness of the foliage.
Diseases or pests
If you notice that the leaves have turned yellow in vegetables, the reasons may be as follows:
- mosaic of leaves. Light spots are formed on their surface. Ripe fruits harden. Most often, this problem occurs when growing vegetables in a greenhouse. This is due to the lack of lighting or lowering the temperature;
- fusarium wilt. Signs about this eggplant yellow leaves. The disease is dangerous, capable of destroying the bush entirely. Leaves lose color, become yellow, fall down, wither the twigs;
- fungus. Can get into the plant from the soil not only in the beds, but also in the greenhouse. Twigs twist, dry and fall off;
- low quality seed. It can be collected from diseased plants or purchased from unscrupulous manufacturers.
Quite often, the problematic issue is related to the eggplant variety. It is likely that it does not suit the climate of your area, the composition of the soil does not meet the necessary requirements. Another problem is the violation of crop rotation rules. Eggplants are planted on one bed a couple of years in a row, or tomatoes or peppers turned out to be the predecessors of the crop.
Why leaves may appear white dry spots
The causative agent of white spot is considered a fungus. Affects the root of the culture. In the affected areas of the stem, the disease appears whitish, sclerotia accumulate inside (solid inclusions). After some time, they soften, causing disturbance of power from the root system, the bush dries and fades.
As a rule, such a problem of character for seedlings that have just been transplanted to a permanent place, and the air is still quite cool. Seedlings can even shed yellow leaves.
What to do with yellowed leaves
It is no secret that any problem can be eliminated if you understand the reasons for its occurrence. First of all, the plant is examined to reveal the presence of white and dry spots on it. At such a moment it is recommended to use a magnifying glass. If necessary, necessary measures can be taken to get rid of the problem.Yellowed eggplant leaves closeup
- Be sure to feed the soil. Introduced complex compounds that contain the necessary macronutrients and minerals;
- fertilizers containing nitrogen are used;
- yeast or dairy solutions are used by many as additional agents;
Elimination of watering errors
- when watering served the right amount of moisture;
- sometimes it is not necessary to water for several days to allow the soil to dry out;
- one of the preventive measures is fungicide treatment;
- spraying is carried out with whey, extract of onion or garlic peels, soapy water.
Solutions are applied to the surface of the affected leaves so that each area is processed. When the disease recedes, the eggplant is gaining strength again and continues to develop.
Methods of dealing with white spot in greenhouses and open ground
To avoid such a problem, it is necessary to properly treat the soil, constantly brushing bushes from affected branches, leaves and stems, dusting problem areas with ash or chalk. For watering only warm water is used.
It must be remembered that if you do not take timely measures, and the pallor of eggplant leaves change to a pronounced yellowness, the plant can not even be saved. It will lose foliage and completely wither. Therefore, deciding to grow eggplants, do not forget to provide them with the necessary nutritional components. Remember that from such problems eggplant is able to several times lower its yield.