Radish - one of a number of unique vegetables. It is rich in vitamins (A, B9, K, C), microelements, organic acids, essential oils, amino acids, vegetable fats, carbohydrates, proteins. Radish contains volatile production - substances that inhibit the growth or kill bacteria, making it a natural antibiotic with the broadest spectrum of action, improves immunity, improves metabolism, digestion, removes fluid from the body. A number of useful qualities of the vegetable can be continued, but this is enough to want to plant and grow a root vegetable in your backyard or cottage.
When can I plant a radish?
It is for this vegetable planting dates are of great importance. First you need to decide for what purpose you are going to plant and grow radish - for long-term storage and use in the winter or for eating in spring and summer.Before planting, you need to decide on the storage period of future root crops.
Early small-fruited varieties sown in March. Fruits ripen in 40-45 days, poorly sharp, juicy - a rich source of early vitamins.
Summer varieties are early ripening, ripening in 55-60 days, so the optimal time for planting is the end of April, beginning of May. Radish is not afraid of low temperatures, gives friendly shoots even at t +3 - 5 degrees.
Winter mid-season varieties intended for long-term storage, ripen in 100-110 days. In order to have time to harvest, in the middle zone of Russia, near Moscow, in Siberia, it is necessary to plant radish in late June - early July (the deadline is the first decade of July).
The radish is sown in open ground with seeds: in the middle of summer, it sprouts fairly quickly, is not afraid of frost in early spring, therefore no need to grow seedlings.
In addition, some gardeners on the forums expressed the opinion that during transplantation of seedlings it is possible to damage the root and the root crop will bloom.
The most important condition for proper growth is short daylight hours. With a long light bottom, the vegetable gives arrows, blooms, becomes unsuitable for food. That is why the radish is sown in early spring or in the second half of summer, when light day becomes shorter.The main criterion for the successful growth of radish is a short light day
The most popular varieties for planting
In order to enjoy the taste of healthy, juicy root vegetables all year round, several varieties with different ripening periods are sown.
The most useful and rich in vitamins and microelements is black radish. It tastes sharper and, in all respects, is significantly ahead of the "colored relatives". Consider a few of the most popular and high-quality representatives.
- Round black. The variety is mid-season, ripening time - 80 days, has the best taste and medicinal qualities, high-yielding - 7.5 kg / sq. m, suitable for long-term storage. The root crop is round, the weight is from 250 to 500 g, the peel is black, the flesh is white, juicy, the taste is bright, sharp.
- Winter long black. Fruits of elongated shape, black. The flesh is white, crunchy, juicy. Even after long storage does not lose useful properties.
- Margelanskaya (Chinese). Fruits are green with light green flesh. This radish is not as useful as black, but you can eat it much more - it tastes very juicy, slightly spicy, without bitterness. They are sown in summer, until July 5-10, as the variety is late-ripening, high-yielding, and has excellent keeping quality, right up until the spring.
- May early. Early summer variety with juicy, tender flesh, the taste of the floor is sharp, does not darken for a long time.
- Winter white. Medium sharp taste, dense tasty flesh, high-yielding, long retains its presentation.
- Round black
- Winter long black
- May early
- Winter white
In addition to these, there are many more popular varieties: Odessa 5, Daikon, Summer round white, Oilseed, Elephant Fang, etc.
The remaining horticultural crops are good predecessors: potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, beans. Winter varieties of radish can be planted in the garden after harvesting green onions, lettuce, green peas, beans.
Soil preparation and planting seeds in open ground
Loves well lit, sunny places, damp and loose, deeply dug up soil. For spring planting the beds need to be prepared in the autumn: add humus, mineral fertilizers, in acidic soils - ashes.
If you want to get a high-quality crop, the roots of the same size, the seeds must be calibrate - small grains, of irregular shape, empty or half to remove, leaving only large healthy grains of the same size.The first thing radish seeds need to calibrate
To obtain friendly shoots, you can (but not necessarily) process the seeds humate or growth stimulator before you plant. Processed seeds go less into the arrow, bloom.
What scheme to sow
Before planting, they dig the ground to a depth of 30-35 cm, level the surface, make grooves deep 2 cmbetween rows 30 cm. Seeds are introduced into the grooves, covered with earth and the beds are well watered.
Prior to seed germination, the soil must be kept wet. As soon as the first shoots appear, they are thinned, leaving the strongest. The next time it is necessary to thin out the shoots no later than a month to avoid thickening. The distance between the remaining radish sprouts should be 15 cm.
Things to Consider When Growing Radish - Care TipsAfter planting radish, the soil should never dry out.
To avoid common mistakes, get tasty, juicy root vegetables with dense pulp, you need to follow some rules:
- thickening should not be allowed, thin out in phase 2-3 leaves, then after 15-20 days;
- watering should be frequentIn no case should the soil be dry;
- for ash radish there is never a lot - she loves ash, it can be applied before planting, in the phase of 3-4 leaves, and during the occurrence of cruciferous flea beetles - scattered over the entire surface of the bed, even on the leaves;
- Top-dressings with boron, magnesium, and table salt will have a good effect on the quality of the fruits - they will increase the sugar content, improve plant growth.
Radish is a unique and useful product that must be included in the diet of healthy food. A good harvest from the garden will help protect you from colds and other diseases throughout the winter. Growing is possible in almost all regions, even beyond the Urals, the main thing is to sow properly and follow the rules of care.