Growing tomato seedlings is a rather complicated process. This problem is more often faced by beginners. Judging by the experience of those who have not succeeded in previous attempts, as a result, mistakes can be avoided. Tips from experienced gardeners will allow you to consider all aspects of the proper cultivation of tomato seedlings. About what to do if tomato seedlings do not grow well after picking, we will tell in the article.
The reasons why tomato seedlings do not grow after picking
There are several reasons why the growth of tomato seedlings is suspended. To correctly find and eliminate them, it is necessary to consider each of the possible options.
Before you take any action you need determine the cause, after picking, the seedlings do not grow because:
- Wrong watering was done, the land is too dry or there is an excess of moisture. If the cause is not watering, check the drainage holes. It happens that novice gardeners forget about drainage, the absence of holes prevents excess moisture from escaping.
- The development of plants can slow down due to the fact that it does not fit tomatoes priming. Often this happens when seeds are planted in the ground from the beds. The soil may be too acidic or too alkaline, so growth could stop.
- The reason may be power shortage. Fertilization is a very good sign of growth stimulation, however, it should not be done often. A large amount of fertilizer will harm the plant.
- Growth may be affected diseases or pests. Infected plants do not have enough strength to grow to their full potential. After transplantation, the bushes experience stress, if diseases or pests are connected to this, development will stop.
- If tomatoes slow down their development after picking, it means that it was not properly done. The roots are badly torn, damaged or bent. Also during transplantation, if the roots are badly compressed, air cavities may form - all these moments are harmful.
Bad soil on which tomatoes grow
Novice gardeners do not always attach importance to the choice of soil, take the land from the beds. This is a major mistake; plant growth depends on its quality. You can not save on this.
It is preferable to buy ready-made soil or prepare a mixture according to existing rules. To disinfect it from germs, you must use special tools. Otherwise, pathogenic microbes or pests are formed.
If the soil is not of good quality, it must be enriched with nutrients, add peat fertilizer.
This problem is solved quite simply, no need to disturb the seedlings. The soil is sprinkled on top, after watering everything useful goes to the roots. This moment needs to be considered, the land for landing to cook correctly. Tomatoes give a good growth, if the soil has enough nutrients.For planting and picking seedlings is best to use ready soil for tomatoes
Stress after transplanting tomatoes
For any plant, transplanting is stressful; seedlings need to get used to new conditions. It takes time for the sprouts to take root, so it is important to provide the right care.
- For tomatoes you need to watch, watch out for temperature conditions, irrigation, content. Today it is easier to cope with this problem by purchasing a growth stimulator.
- Special tools allow plants to survive a stressful situation.
- Among experienced gardeners popular safe tool from natural substances - sodium humate.
- Thanks to stimulants, plants develop better because they have a positive effect.
Dealing with stress will help drugs that have a positive effect on the root system, increase the growth rate. You should also improve the immunity of seedlings with Immunocytophyte or Novosila.
Non-compliance with picking rules
First of all, transplanting should be done. on time. Causes of improper picks:
- Too overgrown or, conversely, a poorly formed plant will not take root well.
- Before transplantation, the soil was weakly watered, which caused damage to the roots.
- A seedling for the period of picking has one small root, if it is damaged, it will take a long time to recover.
- If you replant densely growing seeds, where the roots of plants are strongly intertwined, problems may also arise.
The optimal age of tomato seedlings for picks 10-15 days from the moment of emergence.
As for home care, this is a very important topic, the content greatly affects growth. This includes all accents of watering, fertilizer, temperature, light abundance.
- Be sure to water the plant after picking;
- watering exercise under the root defended water;
- cold water when watering will bring harm;
- weak sprouts don't like a lot of sun, better create shading;
- temperature should not be lower 20 degrees during the day, 16 degrees at night;
- fertilize after picking can not be, you must wait a certain period;
- fertilizer nitrophoska produce no earlier than 14 days;
- any interference with the growth of seedlings is detrimental;
- is necessary check soil for moisture, spraying weak sprouts, slightly moistening the soil.
What to do to help seedlings grow better
Caring for tomatoes in the seedling growth stage is a very important point, from him depends on the quality of the crop. The stronger the sprouts, the easier it will settle down on the open field. It is impossible to call this work easy, which is why many gardeners buy ready-made seedlings and only patient, they manage to grow it themselves.
The following are tips to help seedlings grow better:
- Correctly organize the place where trays with sprouts will be located. Best fit window sills or heated greenhouses.
- To prepare the soil according to the recommendations, it should consist of peat, earth, sand, humus. Be sure to disinfect the soil with special means or warm it in the oven.
- Check the quality of the seed, monitor the shelf life. Harden them in the refrigerator, handle disinfectants. Seeds may have fungi.
- First days water only with a spray bottle. If dry or hot air, you must regularly spray, create a humid environment.
- Before picking, as soon as 3 leaves are formed, water the soil well. This should be done in three stages the day before the transplant.
- Replace in a well-watered soil of the tray or in peat pots.
- Carefully press the groundto root "sat down." If this is not done, the roots can die.
- In order not to form diseases (pests), for a long time gardeners used spraying diluted milk at the rate of 1: 4.
To ensure good growth, it is necessary to pay attention to the ground, feed it in time, water it. If you follow the recommendations from the time of preparation of the soil before picking, problems should arise. Observing the growth, any errors in care can be excluded. Successful to you picks and rich harvests!