Among garden crops not the last place is Margelan radish. Besides she is very healing, tasty and it will not be difficult to grow it even with a minimum of effort and money.
Biological description and characteristics of Margilan radish
Radish Margilan is one of the representatives of the Cabbage family. Root crop got its unusual name thanks to the city of Margilan, located in Uzbekistan, where it came to the liking of the local population and became actively cultivated by them. He got there from China, so this country is rightfully considered his homeland.Margelanskaya (Chinese) radish or Lobo
The plant is characterized by a sprawling rosette of leaves. Root crops have a short length, reaching 16-20 cm. Fruit underground part of the plant can grow up to 500 g of weight. In the process of development, the fetus is compacted and takes a round, oval or elongated shape. Depending on the variety, the skin of the fruit may have a white, green, reddish and purple color. White translucent pulp with a greenish tinge. Root is characterized by high juiciness and not very pronounced sharpness. Regardless of the shape and color of the peel, radish fruits have many useful substances, are not endowed with bitterness, crunch pleasantly when used and are good for salting, boiling, stewing, pickling and fresh use.
Benefit and harm
Marghelan radish grown since ancient times is considered a source of vitamins and microelements. One of the favorite foods that enriches and cures the body.Nutritionists recommend introducing Margilan radish into the diet because of its low calorie content.
The healing properties of radish:
- strengthens the heart muscle and normalizes blood pressure indicators;
- provides work of the nervous system no overload and loss of concentration;
- beneficial effect on hematopoietic function, is responsible for the supply of oxygen and valuable elements to organs and tissues;
- normalizes production digestive enzymes and gently stimulates the activity of the pancreas;
- removes toxins, deposits of slags and salts;
- is effective analgesic and antiseptic means;
- helps with lesions of the skincaused by fungal and bacterial infections;
- slows down age changes, improves the condition of the skin, hair, teeth.
Before you enter Margilan radish in your daily diet, you should be familiar with the contraindications, which include:
- chronic gastritis at the time of exacerbation with high acidity;
- peptic ulcer acute stomach;
- urolithiasis disease and pathological conditions leading to impaired renal function;
- in the period of infectious diseases, as it can cause bloating and increased flatulence;
- pregnancy, because the essential oils contained in the vegetable, can improve the tone of the uterus, causing miscarriage or premature birth;
- during lactation, because it impairs the taste of milk and causes colic in an infant;
- propensity to allergic reactions.
Agrotechnical methods for growing root vegetables
The greatest benefit will bring Chinese radish grown in their backyard. In addition, this culture does not have any special requirements for the composition of the soil and the care, because the radish belongs to the category of unpretentious plants.
Time to landThe future harvest of Chinese radish depends on the quality of the seeds.
The main condition for planting is the correct determination of the time of sowing seeds. Radish can be grown twice a season. In early May, plant the plants and get a crop for consumption in the summer. For winter storage it is better to use a radish, which was sown in early July. These landing dates are approximate.
Despite the fact that the cultivation of Margilan radish has historically been practiced in a highly continental climate, it is possible to plant radish in open ground in the Urals and in Siberia.
Radish is a thermophilic culture of short daylight hours. If at the time of the growing season the duration of daylight is more than 15 hours, and the temperature indices are above 15-25 ° C, The radish will hasten to throw out the peduncle and will direct all its strength to the formation of seeds, not of fruits. To avoid this, it is necessary to correctly determine the time of sowing seeds, focusing on the climatic features of the region.
To obtain a high-quality harvest, it is necessary to give preference to areas with a neutral and slightly acidic soil rich in organic matter. To reduce the acidity of the soil, it is necessary to add slaked lime, and in the presence of heavy clay soil, add sand or peat. Onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and legumes are considered good predecessors.
Sow the seeds necessary in the prepared soil. This requires the following operations:
- Since autumn, selected for the cultivation of radish garden, good dig to a depth of 30 cm.
- To increase soil fertility make a complex of organic and mineral substances.
- With the onset of spring, fertilize again, using compost or humus.
Technology of planting in open ground
It is necessary to plant seeds in open ground, when the air temperature indicators are not lower than 18-20◦ C. Also, before planting, you need to prepare planting material, soak it for a day, then dry it well.Radish seeds are sown in the grooves in two or three pieces at a distance of 15-18 cm from each other
Stages of the landing process:
- Before landing the ground needs to be covered and loosen up.
- Make holes 2-3 cm deep. Since the fruits grow in large sizes, it is necessary to leave a distance of 50-70 cm between the rows, and 15 cm between the holes.
- In each recess place 3-5 seedsThis will allow increasing the germination capacity of the crop and, at thinning, remove weak sprouts.
- Sprinkle with soil substrate and moisten. Then, to protect the seeds from frost, a bed should be covered with a film on top.
Proper care for radish
Most self-respecting gardeners understand that a truly generous harvest will come with constant concern for the crops grown. This rule applies to Margilan radish. To do this, you must perform the following activities:
- water regularly and abundantly especially at the time of formation and formation of fruits;
- thin out shoots, removing small and weak specimens, and leaving one plant in each well;
- feed with vitamins immediately after planting and the period of formation of root crops;
- destroy all weeds, and also to clean the yellowed, drooping leaves on the ground;
- tearing off healthy foliage, which blocks access of light and air deep into plantations, this will help prevent the occurrence of pests and pathogens on the plant;
- spud the tops of fruits that form above the ground, which will allow the vegetables not to harden in the air and not be attacked by insects;
- provide the plant with additional protection from diseases and pestsby performing a series of necessary preventive measures.
Susceptibility to diseases and pests
Most often, this vegetable crop is affected by the keel, powdery mildew, white rot, black leg. To protect plants from infection it is required to tear off excess foliage for free air penetration to the roots, timely deal with weed crops and carefully carry out autumn harvesting of plant residues, as well as follow the recommendations for crop rotation.
- Cruciferous flea
- Cabbage Fly
The main pests of the radish are Margilan, cruciferous flea and cabbage flies. These insects can add to the hassle and reduce yields. Therefore, in order to prevent the need to systematically treat crops using ground ash, tobacco dust. You can also plant marigolds near the garden bed, the smell of which will scare away dangerous pests.
Harvesting and storage
Culture is very susceptible to temperature changes, so you should not delay the harvesting of root crops, since even a slight cooling can spoil the crop. It is necessary to focus on the timing of the ripening of the plant:
- early varieties dig out after 55-70 days from the emergence of shoots;
- mid-season or late species collected after 75-110 days.
It should be cleaned in dry weather, preferably in the evening or morning, when there is no scorching sun. When harvesting, you need to take the bush by the leaves and carefully pull it out without damaging the plant, since in the presence of injuries the radish can be stored for only a few days. After that, the roots cleaned from the ground.
Gardeners with great pleasure grow Margilan radish on their private plots, since with love the grown vegetables are much tastier and healthier than those bought in the store. BUT low calorie and excellent taste root vegetables make it a good addition to various culinary dishes.