Compliance with the rules of agricultural technology can not fully guarantee high yields. Like other crops, tomatoes are subject to the onslaught of pests that are not averse to feasting on young leaves or sap of the plant. The main task of the gardener is the timely implementation of preventive measures and instant response to insect attacks.
The main pests of tomato seedlings
Many parasites are tiny in size, but this does not mean that they are harmless. In just a few days, a voracious flock can destroy an entire tomato bed or all the seedlings on the windowsill. Delay in processing sometimes deprives the crop. Pests are settled both on young shoots and mature bushes. The stage of plant development in this case does not matter. Not only the top part of the bush, but also the root system is exposed to danger. Therefore, to relax before the end of the collection of vegetables should not be.
Methods of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle
A potato lover does not deny himself the pleasure of moving to a tomato garden. Recognize it simply by the characteristic color (alternating stripes of orange and black colors). Very quickly, the parasite lays larvae on the outside of the leaf. The intensity of eating greens is so high that in a few days only the remains of stalks can remain from the bed. The danger of a pest is also high due to the fact that in nature it has no enemies.
- assembly of insects and larvae by hand (to be carried out daily, and preferably in the morning and in the evening);
- landing between the beds of marigolds, garlic, marigolds;
- treatment of plants with special preparations (Aktara, Prestige, Mospilan).
Processing tomato vs whitefly
Insect of small size with white wings settles on the underside of the sheet with whole hordes. A favorite delicacy is the sap of plants. In addition, the parasites carry a number of diseases, infect tomato beds with waste products. Affected bushes begin to fade.
- treat the beds with garlic infusion;
- setting traps (adhesive tape).
- Colorado beetle
- Whitefly on Tomatoes
Getting rid of the pest is not so easy. Chemicals are used extremely rarely, so as not to poison the crop. The voracious insect gnaws through the stalks of seedlings, damages the root system, fruits. A tomato for an underground dweller is considered a real delicacy.
- elimination of the use of fresh mullein as a fertilizer that attracts a bear;
- pouring the hole with soapy water followed by catching insects (you can also use sunflower oil, crushed egg shells);
- digging up the site in late autumn contributes to the destruction of burrows and freezing of parasites;
- arrangement of traps (beer, manure, compost, etc.);
- the use of drugs (Granule, Rembek, Medvetoks).
Small bright spots and leaves tangled with spiderwebs indicate the invasion of a spider mite. It is populated on tomatoes by the whole populations, quickly multiplies. The interest of the parasite is to suck the juice from the plant. Among other signs: perforated leaves, yellowness on the leaves, which subsequently deforms the leaf and causes the bush to dry.
- spraying the bed with garlic infusion with the addition of soap;
- processing tomatoes infusion dandelion;
- the use of special tools (Karbofos, Iskra M, Fufanon).
A dark green insect of a microscopic size (about 2 mm) settles on the underside of the leaves, intensively feeding on the sap of the plant. Aphid attracts to the place of settlement ants that feed on its excrement. You can even recognize the parasite by the faded appearance of the bush, yellowing drying leaves, fallen ovaries.
- spraying affected plants with an extract of onion peel or garlic;
- dusting the beds with wood ash;
- rinsing the bush with insects with a solution of laundry soap and flea shampoo;
- dusting tomatoes with tobacco dust;
- the use of insecticides (Fitoverm, Karate, Aktellik).
Microscopic insect (about 1 mm), similar in appearance to a butterfly. It feeds on plant sap, disrupting the movement of nutrients through the vessels. As a result of the invasion of parasites, the culture is first covered with small silvery spots, which then grow and unite with each other.
Measures to combat thrips:
- for preventive measures, weeds should be removed from the beds in a timely manner, which attract insects;
- before the first frost need to dig up the ground to destroy the larvae;
- when pests are found, special preparations are used (Vermitek, Akarin).
- Aphids on a sheet of tomato
- Thrips on tomatoes
The wireworm is a larva of click beetles, it is easy to recognize by the orange color and the hard-to-touch frame. Parasites feed on tomato roots, as a result of which the plant weakens and dies.
Methods of struggle:
- mechanical extraction of insects when digging up the soil;
- planting next to tomatoes radish, cabbage, turnips;
- mulching beds with sawdust or straw impregnated with urea;
- treatment of beds with drugs (Aktara, Antikhrushch, Prestige).
The appearance of insects practically does not differ from ordinary flies, but the interest of these pests is focused on vegetable crops. Parasites damage everything: seeds, root system, young shoots.
Methods of struggle:
- digging the garden in late autumn, cleaning all plant debris;
- soil embedment;
- treatment of infusion tobacco beds;
- the use of insecticides (Fitoverm, Strela, Basudin).
- Sprout fly
- Caterpillar scoops
- Garden scoop
Two-color butterfly (later caterpillar), leading nocturnal. Insect length reaches 3-4 cm, color - light green-yellow with bright yellow side strip (caterpillar) and brown in different shades (butterfly). Voracious pests feed on leaves, making holes through them. Immature fruits are also of interest.
The method of struggle:
- as a preventive measure, it is necessary to dig up a plot in late autumn, carefully removing plant residues from it;
- before the formation of the fruit, it is possible to carry out the treatment with insecticides in case of detection of the caterpillar (Inta-vir, Fas, Zeta).
The parasite is a filamentous worm, the size of which is about 2 mm. One of the signs of the presence of a nematode is the formation of altered expanded tissue (galls) on the roots of a tomato. Affected cultures are significantly lagging behind in development. Other symptoms indicate the presence of water and mineral deficiency. In most cases, save the plant fails.Gallic nematode
- as a preventive measure, bleach is added to the ground before planting;
- beds under tomatoes plan better after garlic, onion or calendula;
- carry out treatment with the drug Fitoverm.
To possess knowledge means to be fully equipped. Timely diagnosis of the problem will help to quickly select the necessary tool for the treatment of the beds, thereby leaving no chance for pests.