Pumpkin is one of the most unique in its properties vegetable. It contains vitamins A, B, C, E and K. They can be used to overcome fatigue, irritability, insomnia, to cope with the premature signs of aging. Vitamin K increases blood clotting, in other vegetables it is contained in a small amount.
Pumpkin is useful in any form - dried, frozen, dried.
How to cook a pumpkin for drying
The composition of dried pumpkin includes dietary fiber, which have a positive effect on metabolic processes and remove toxins from the body. You can dry it in the oven, in the dryer or in the air. When cooking in a dryer, a constant temperature is maintained, which keeps a maximum of useful substances in the vegetable. The oven can be used in the absence of a dryer, healing substances are also preserved. A good option is outdoors, but dry hot weather is needed.
The recipe for dried pumpkin at home
Dried pumpkin is obtained as follows:
- choose a ripe fruit with a thick peel;
- remove seeds, cut it into large pieces, as it is greatly reduced when dried;
- hold on the air for 2 days, stirred, and then kept in the sun for another 2 days;
- placed in an oven at a temperature of up to 60 degrees for 0.5 hours;
- cooled to room temperature and again placed in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
On air drying can take from 5 to 7 days.Dried pumpkin is used as a dessert
Dried pumpkin for the winter
To cook in dried form:
- take a ripe vegetable without stains, wash, remove the skin;
- clean the insides with seeds;
- cut pieces for 2 minutes throw in boiling salted water;
- placed in an oven or device for drying with a temperature of 50-60 degrees for 3-4 hours;
- stirring the pieces, increase the temperature to 70 degrees and leave for another 1-2 hours.
- received at the exit of the workpiece is elastic and does not stick to the hands, this means that they are ready.
How to make chips
To make vegetable chips, you need:
- peel, cut off the peel;
- cut into thin pieces;
- remove seeds;
- put in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Chips are ready.Pumpkin chips - a useful snack option
Cooking Pumpkin Powder
For the preparation of pumpkin powder, it is necessary to grind dried chips in a coffee grinder or meat grinder with a small nozzle. You can sift through large fractions. Pumpkin powder is used in baking.Pumpkin powder - a source of omega-3 fatty acids
Ways of drying vegetable
There are 3 ways, they are described above. The most popular is its preparation in the dryer: the action takes a little time with a minimum of effort.
Drying pumpkin in the oven with slices
Before drying, the pumpkin is blanched: placed in water with salt. The ratio is about 1: 1 water.
Stages of drying in the oven:
- wash the pumpkin;
- remove the peel and entrails;
- cut it into strips approximately 1 cm wide;
- blanch for 2 minutes after boiling salted water;
- remove moisture from the pieces through a colander;
- lay the billet on a baking tray in one layer;
- load in preheated to 60-65 degrees oven;
- leave in the oven for 5 hours, leave the oven door a little open to allow excess moisture;
- After 5 hours, increase the temperature to 80 degrees, leave for 3 hours.
The advantage of this method of drying are minor physical exertion. The negative side - the consumption of electricity (if the oven is electric) or gas.
How to dry a pumpkin in an electric drier
This method of drying, in addition to saving time, has other positive properties: space is saved, for example, in a VOLTERA 1000 Lux dryer - slices are in several tiers; there is no influence of external factors (insects, debris, etc.). The sequence of actions when cooking in the dryer:
- spread the pieces on the grid, between them it is desirable that there is a place;
- turn on the dryer at a temperature of 50-60 degrees;
- hour after 2 slices mix;
- exposure time in the dryer - from 12 to 24 hours depending on the type and humidity.
The negative side of this method of drying: electricity consumption.
The disadvantage of this method of drying is that the fruit can not dry out or overexpose and burn. Radiation also adversely affects human health.
- lay the slices at a distance from each other on paper, preferably parchment;
- paper folded on a plate;
- turn on the microwave for 3 minutes;
- in case of unavailability, put again for half a minute, repeat if necessary.
Since a small batch is put on the dryer, and the selected moisture remains inside the microwave, after each batch it is necessary to open the oven door and ventilate for 10 minutes to remove moisture.
How to dry a vegetable in the air
This method of drying is known for a long time. The fruit is cut into pieces, they are stacked in one row on a baking sheet or sieve. The sieve provides excellent moisture removal and ventilation. The baking tray is taken out on the street or a balcony for 2 or 3 days. Not bad, if the slices fall into direct sunlight.
The disadvantage of this method of drying is the duration and the fact that insects can fall on the pieces. It is recommended to put gauze on top of a baking sheet. A minimum of effort is a huge plus of this method of drying.If the volume is small, the pumpkin is dried in limbo
Proper storage and use of dried product
The volume of the vegetable after drying becomes less than the original. This is a big plus for those who have little space for storing whole fruits. After drying in one of the ways, the vegetable pieces are cooled to room temperature and put in glass jars with tightly fitting lids. It is advisable to lay each layer of dried slices with permanent paper. Thus, the pumpkin can be stored for over a year.
Dry pumpkin is widely used in cooking. This is a semi-finished product, which practically does not need processing. It is added to soups - puree, in baking both in slices and in powder form. Georgian pumpkin phali is made from dried vegetables. Crushed dried pumpkin pieces are used as breading for fish and meat.Dried pumpkin is used as a billet for cooking first and second courses.
Scrubs and peelings are predominantly prepared from the dried product, adding oatmeal. Apply also its dried peel. These cleansers can smooth out skin imperfections, improve complexion and reduce inflammation. They can be used throughout the year due to the long shelf life of dried vegetables.
In the dried gourd the same nutrients and minerals that are fresh are preserved. It has a positive effect on all organs of the gastrointestinal tract, contributes to the removal of toxins from the body, increases endurance during physical exertion.
To keep the maximum nutrients in the vegetable, you need to properly grow a pumpkin in open ground.