Wanting to taste ripe watermelon, we are heading to the markets or supermarkets. But in this case there is no guarantee that the purchased goods will not harm our health. This is what makes many people think about the possibility of growing such a crop in their backyard. And here questions of the agrotechnical plan become actual. Not everyone knows if there is a need to pinch watermelons.how it is done correctly. Meanwhile, experienced gardeners assure that planting watermelons is no more difficult than growing tomatoes.
Why do you need to pinch watermelon seedlings in the open field?
Watermelon is considered an exotic berry, should be grown in greenhouse conditions. or in open ground in areas with a favorable climate for this.
In addition to all the features of planting and growing, there is a procedure for pinching watermelons. This process is inherently reminiscent of stading of seedlings of other crops (melon, sweet Bulgarian pepper, etc.).
It allows the fetus to ripen faster, gain sweetness and juiciness.
Pinching this berry allows it to direct all the energy to the formation of the fruit, rather than building up excess green mass.
In the course of such an operation, two or three ovaries remain on the shoot., on the plant there is a development of a limited number of fruits and shoots.Pinching allows you to send all the energy to the formation of the fruit, rather than building up excess green mass
What grades are required nip
Pinching is done based on the cultivated variety and climatic conditions. Mandatory procedure required large varieties, an example of which can be considered "Astrakhan".
Varieties needing plenty of sunshine and heat quickly ripen and are considered quite tasty. In our areas of cold come early, so you need to help the plants to mature, while there are warm days.
For clarity, the features of pinching varieties are displayed in the table:
|Growing area||Variety||Pinching features|
|North||Helen, Twinkle, Sugar Babe, Dolby||On the shoot must leave one - two fruits.|
|South||Chill nice||It is allowed to leave up to four fruits.|
How to produce a procedure for pinching watermelons: scheme
Some gardeners think that such a procedure can harm the plant, completely ruining the crop. But if you follow the established requirements, then yields will only increase.
It is recommended to learn a few basic rules and a pinch pattern:
- watermelons grow mainly on the main shoot;
- for each bush no more than four ovaries are left;
- when forming the first ovaries, processing of the lashes is performed;
- removal of the main bud. This should not be done, since it is already known that it is the main shoot that bears fruit;
- removal of shoots. The procedure is mandatory, as it allows all the forces of the plant to direct to the formation of the crop;
- removal of sterile shoots. This is done after the pollination has passed and the ovary has appeared, which should be left in the optimal amount. The bush should be inspected weekly, removing the lateral processes, to allow the berries to grow to the desired size;
- nipping skeletal stalks. In this case, side lashes remain on the main shoot. On them appears the ovary of the fruit, but from the main stem the shoots must be removed. In total, no more than six fruits should remain on the plant, two per whip.
The top three pinch pin. Extra shoots are removed with scissors. Branching the bush allows you to get a good harvest. The optimal amount of remaining leaves helps the plant to feed and does not allow to dry out.
Pinching is performed in sunny weather.so that the injured place can dry out quickly. On rainy days, rot may appear, and the likelihood of disease will increase.
Pinching watermelon after fruit set:
How to properly form a watermelon lash
In order to successfully grow watermelons in areas of middle latitudes, it is necessary to correctly form a bush. There are three main methods for this:
- On the main shoot of the plant three berries remain, if the variety is large-fruited, and no more than six ovaries, when the watermelon is smaller. The lateral processes are left without an ovary, there are only four large leaves, the rest of the shoot is pinned. Such whips will help the plant to eat well. When the fruits start to gain weight, the lower shoots are gradually removed.
- Lateral whips are removed from the bush, the ovary on the main stem remains five sheets away. It is recommended not to forget that during the growth period the bushes can give out new stepchildren. They are also cut off, occasionally inspecting the plant.
- Experienced gardeners leave the side, because it is there that the berries are formed. But from the main escape the entire ovary is removed. After waiting for the bush to gain weight and begin to form the first inflorescences, leave from four to six flowers, depending on the type of plant.
Formation of watermelons in the open field:
On the lash should fall on one or two fruits. All shoots left are pinned, leaving three or four leaves above the ovary. Extra stepchildren are carefully removed with scissors.
If you overdid it, and by the time the berries grow, a small amount of foliage remains on the bush, it is recommended to pinch the shoot itself, located above the fruit.
This measure will help to provoke the formation of new leaves that are necessary for each plant for normal development.
The pinching option is selected based on cultivated varieties, conditions and climate. A suitable technique is determined experimentally.
For the first time, several bushes are planted, each of which uses one of the pinching types. At the end of the season, yields are compared and conclusions are drawn.
After such events the harvest on your bahche will always grow rich and tasty.